Miso Butter Mahi Mahi Bento

Posted on June 25, 2011 by Debra

Saba Man and I shared a rare weekday off together.  So we decided to drop the car off at the shop for a routine check-up.  Off course that was just too optimistic of us  because the shop called to tell us that our “whatchamacallit” was leaking… we had no choice but to get comfy in a loaner car.

Not a big deal but it was hilarious when we both forgot about this detail when we went to lunch   It took a more than a few moments to realize that we were looking for the wrong car after leaving the restaurant.

Too funny.

Anyhow, this bento is partially filled with leftovers from today’s Chinese  lunch;  shrimp with cashew and garlic gai lan (Chinese broccoli).

The main event —mahi mahi glazed with miso butter!  I also caramelized more of those tiny potatoes in the same pan and they turned out perfectly.

A veggie- mushroom stuffed steamed bun, yellow carrots and a fresh strawberry fill the remaining space.

So yes… Saba Man is back to work, albeit driving a strange car… but at least he has some yummy leftovers from our day together.

————————-

For more bento tips, information and recipes subscribe to hapa bento via your email or newsreader.

12 to “Miso Butter Mahi Mahi Bento”

Whoops! Hehe!
    Looks so vibrant and tasty.

2. Anncoo says:

Nice leftover in that bento box:) Next time please let me know, will collect it myself..hehee..

3. Jenn says:

Lovely! I have yet to try those steamed buns. I need to just get up my nerve and do it!

Thanks Jenn! I’ve been lazy and buying them premade and frozen. Someday I’ll dedicate an afternoon and make my own batch.

4. Darryl Snow says:

How do you find the time to prepare such elaborate and delicious lunches?

Hi Darryl, Welcome to our bento blog. My bentos don’t take too extra time to put together and it’s a labor of love. I squeeze in an extra 15 to 20 minutes a day to assemble. The cooking part may take longer and I rely on leftovers a lot of the time.
      Thanks!

5. Folly says:

Looks delish! But about that miso butter glaze…do you add sugar or shoyu to get that beautiful color?

Hi Folly, Thanks! But the answer is neither. :) That caramelization I’m guessing is from the miso and heat. I’ll have to post the exact recipe someday….

6. Lej says:

Looks so yummy I would love to make this for hubby’s bento but can’t find the recipe for the miso buttered mahi mahi…could you provide the link?

Hi Lej, I don’t have a link. Just mix 1:1ratio of butter and white miso. Marinate the fish. Scrape off the excess before grilling. Thanks for your comments.