Shoyu Chicken Bento

Posted on January 16, 2011 by Debra

Just catching up with this very simple bento from a few days ago.   We both had sudden changes to our schedules so swift bento preparation was in order. You probably recognize the shoyu chicken!  It’s my one of my “go-to” recipes and can  be quickly prepared while the rice is cooking.  I was done before I knew it!

Threw in edamame and leftover gobo kimpira and voila!

We have bento.  I added furikake, yellow takuan and sprigs of enoki mushrooms to keep this lunch from being too boring.

Very rush-rush… I didn’t even bother with baran but I think it turned out okay.

Haha!  Looks like I’m still on the stainless steel kick! :)

——————————

For more bento tips, information and recipes subscribe to hapa bento via your email or newsreader.

20 to “Shoyu Chicken Bento”

1. Christine says:

I’m loving the stainless steel! And the edamame :)

2. sherimiya says:

Me too! Can’t ever miss with chicken and rice. Lip-smacking.

Yum, I agree chicken and rice is always a hit! :) Delish!

You ‘threw’ everything yummy in your box and made us hungry hehehe … (^∇^)

5. Xelia says:

Simply beautiful! The content is so ‘down to earth’ echoing the spirit of nature loving stainless steel box!

6. That looks really delicious, and I love the stainless steel!! They’re my favorite too, although my kids love the brightly colored plastic bentos more! I may have to try the shoyu, but my family is not realy fond of the five spice powder, do you think there is a substitue I could use? Although I guess its not shoyu chicken anymore then . . . .

Hi Stephanie, Thanks for your nice comments. As for the 5 spice…which one of the flavors:cloves, anise, pepper, cinammon, or fennel do you think they don’t like? Maybe if you try a combo of the different 5 flavors to isolate what your family likes. Also, not all 5 spice brands are equal as they differ in quality and taste. My mom makes shoyu chicken with just ginger and it tastes pretty good. Hope that helps. :)

7. ChantaleP says:

Yum-mo! Now this my hubby would gobble in a second! He loves this combo, and so do I.. However, I think your little bento portion would be more like, presnack to a snack portion for him. haha!

Hi Chantale, Thanks for you nice comments! This bento actually has 2 whole boneless chicken thighs! It’s one of my larger boxes.

8. KatyCrayon says:

I will have to try your shoyu chicken! I always keep thsoe ingredients on hand. It sound terrific!

9. Heather says:

After we got our stainless bentos I’m finding hard to use anything but! I love this “simple” bento. I’m going to try your shoyu chicken recipe soon, it looks delicious!

10. Oh, so stylishly yummy! Excellent photo, the inviting colors and textures covey beautifully Debra!