Chicken and Rice Bento

Posted on September 28, 2010 by Debra

Chicken and rice! It’s simple, it’s basic, it’s delicious!

I always have rice and I almost always have chicken in the freezer at-the-ready.  Quick to cook, chicken takes on all cultural flavors.  Today’s bento: “5 Spice Chicken!”

Yum and all the cool kids are doing it!

Kongbap(beans,grains and rice), ambercup squash, kiwi berries (they’re ba-ack) and a bright yellow squash-shaped tomato!

The ambercup squash is crazy-delicious!  Like a compact pumpkin, but sweet like…well, sweet potatoes!  I enthusiastically recommend it.  This one I roasted, “natch!”

Linking up to “What’s for Lunch Wednesday!” for a good cause.

18 to “Chicken and Rice Bento”

1. karaimame says:

oh, looks amazing! And.. those kiwi berries are something new for me :O

2. Jenn says:

Looks delicious, I love the look of the kiwi berries! :D

3. Mrs. P says:

i wanna be a cool kid!! I should make 5 spiced chicken one of these days! haha. What are kiwi berries?

Same with Karaimame, kiwi berries are new for me. Never see those here, very nice! Everytime when I look at your bento always find something new and delicious, awesome!! (^.^)

5. ChantaleP says:

Me three, kiwi berries? What do they taste like? Or is that a ‘duh’ question. lol. I love 5 spice, the smell and flavour! Mm, I’d smash all of the ingredients above up for a mouth watering flavour explosion. Gorgeous.

6. Debra says:

Thanks karaimame, Jenn, Mrs. P, Lia, and Chantale! Your comments mean the world to me!

Kiwi berries are just berries that happen to look like kiwi when you slice them open. The don’t taste like kiwis though.

Wonderful bento and I love those kiwi berries! :)

Woohoo, right on! I’m a cool kid!!
    Your chicken is tantalizing, and I’ve haven’t yet seen ambercup squash.Is it big? I’m such a wimp when it comes to cutting squash!

Hi sheri! the ambercup squash is about the size of kabocha, but bright orange like pumpkin. I wish I shot a pic before cooking. But anyways the skin texture is the same as kabocha so not so tough to cut and seems edible too. We ate the skin and didn’t get sick! :)

9. Nichola says:

Yum!! Those kiwi berries are so cute! I googled them when I got to work this morning after I saw you tweet about them – they are only in season in New Zealand from about feb – april but I will def look out for them!

10. Xelia says:

Three out of all the ingredients in your bento I’ve never tried before! Bento-ing has really open up my eyes to so many different kind of food out there and of course the wonderful friends that we can make. There are really lots to learn from you and all and I shall endeavor to enrich my palette with these beautiful food!

11. mils says:

kiwi berries are the cutest!Do take a picture of what it looks like inside.

I love 5-spice roast chicken as well for my bentos – they work so well for dinner and packs perfectly for bentos. In fact, might have to do it again soon…

Hi mils, yes, I’ll have to remember to show the inside of the kiwi berry. Thanks for your comments.

12. megan says:

yummy! the chicken looks perfectly done, the fanned tomato is beautiful, and the kongbap is always a nice addition in my book. your kiwi berries look different than mine – more color variegation (including rose hues) on the outside. cool!

Hi megan, I’ve noticed some other types of kiwi berries at our market, but I usually select these multi-colored ones. They are fun to eat…something out of the ordinary. Thanks!

13. Check out that sizzling ochre ambercup squash, hope I can find it here…it brings fall into your bento with its wonderful bright (and delish) presence! This must have been a delightful lunch indeed :)