Road Trip to Sequim

Posted on August 22, 2010 by Debra

Bought some rainbow chard for the first time!

Not a bento post but I did use the chard in this bundle (far right) for two bentos here and here!  Arriving at this farmers market was  serendipitous; what a nice way to stumble upon fresh produce!

A few weeks ago we  planned a road trip to visit the town of Sequim, WA.  It’s a 30  minute ferry ride across the water and a 45 mile drive… a beautiful 45 mile drive!  While in Sequim we planned to tour the town, eat lunch, then partially hike the Dungeness Spit, a  national wildlife refuge.

I’m not going to describe in words but instead let the photos (click on each image) tell the tale.  But the bottom line is that we had a fun-filled day that we will never forget.

P.S. We got lost and stopped at the visitor center to ask directions to the spit.  No kidding and with a straight face…”From Highway 101, take Kitchen-Dick Road north..”  *snort*

13 to “Road Trip to Sequim”

1. Oh how fun! That lavender looks fabulous. Great looking food, and such a wonderful find at the farmer’s market. Love the chard uses.

2. Christine says:

I have been a swiss chard kick for a few weeks. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

3. margaret says:

I lived in Port Angeles briefly in the 70′s; it’s a different world up there on the peninsula. Your photos are lovely.

Hi margaret, I find that area having a more relaxed state of mind and the people are super friendly. Thanks.

4. ChantaleP says:

GORGEOUS photos Debra! Wow.. I totally laughed out loud at the directions part. Hilarious! OMG the crab sandwich looks delish. And my fave photos, well of course, of the beach and those little pebbles.. so beautiful.

5. Kathleen says:

My absolute best childhood memories are of Sequim, walking on the spit, clam digging, eating at 3 Crabs…..it was a lovely place to visit my Grandparents each summer. The stores on main street still handed out greenstamps, the grocery store was a tag & bag….you marked the price of your food on the cans with a grease pencil and then bagged your own food. It’s a lovely town.

Thanks Kathleen for sharing. I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to spend entilre summers in a town like Sequim. I want to go back there EVERY weekend.

My heart just gasped looking at these pictures. The stones shot was the one that brought all the memories flooding back. You have made the PNW live on for me, as I can relive it all vicariously through your posts like this! Thank you!

Hi sheri, well my heart swells that I’ve been able to bring pleasant memories back to you. Even though I’ve lived here many years there’s so much more to see and explore… you can “come along” with me for more PNW groove.

7. Such a glorious tour, loved these photos, so full of texture, delight and good times! Who can resist the neon colors of chard, so earthy-jazzy-bright!

Plump crab sandwich, pinenut pizza, lavender, sea and skyscapes–wow! Thanks for sharing this rich sensory journey :D

Hi Jenn, Thanks for taking a peek at my photos…so glad you enjoyed them. I have more adventures to share soon!

8. Renee says:

What a wonderful road trip! I still can’t say Sequim but it is such a nice place. :-)