Baked Salmon with Sauteed Snap Peas Bento

Posted on July 18, 2010 by Debra

What  a difference a week makes…last weekend was a whirlwind with a house full of guests and this week there was only me (and 2 kitties) while Saba Man was out of town.  We’re kind of on a regular bento schedule again so I’m kicking off the next work-week with this baked salmon bento.

Baked salmon with simple salt and pepper spices, white rice topped with beni shoga (pickled ginger), sautéed in a light teriyaki sauce with pine nuts and of course tomatoes!  It wouldn’t be a “hapa bento” without cherry tomatoes somewhere! ;)

Speaking of tomatoes…I bought two tomato plants each about 3 feet high.  I’m hoping that they’ll bear fruit later this summer so wish me luck!  Or I should say, “wish the tomatoes luck” as I do not have a green thumb.  ;)

I also bought a cute little basil plant because I hate running out to the store to by basil whenever I need some fresh stuff!  I’ve been told that they are easy to keep going and I can even bring the plant inside during the winter for even more everlasting fresh basil leaves!

Here’s a shot of them today…I’ll try and remember to keep track of any fruit and record their progress here on the blog.  I ‘m excited that maybe someday I’ll have homegrown tomatoes in my bento!

19 to “Baked Salmon with Sauteed Snap Peas Bento”

Welcome back SM! We also welcome your delish bento, lucky you :) I grow tomatoes and basil every summer too. The basil dies, but they self-seed. So do tomatoes, but who has the patience to grow tomatoes from seed! Wish they grew like weeds here like they do in my mom’s yard. Now that you’re talking about it, I’m thinking…caprese…

Hi sheri, he he he… great minds! I bought some cheese making supplies and I’m ready to start making my own mozza! Now if ony those tomatoes would hurry! Caprese!

2 colors tomato are so pretty there in your bento box. Delicious as always! Hope your tomato plants will grow quick … it’s a good idea to plant them :)

3. Lil'chan says:

Delicious. That’s all I have to say to your bento ;)
    I do also try to grow my own tomatoes. Hope some day we will both be lucky to have homegrown tomatoes ;)

Hi Lil’chan. Thanks, if I can do it, then anyone can. I have terrible luck with plants.

4. Xelia says:

So simple yet so pretty. Hope my hubby will keep his promise and build me a herb garden soon coz I don’t have green fingers! Haha hope ur plants grow n grow!

5. yenny says:

hm, it is a good idea to plant tomatoes and basil by yourself. Hope they grow healthily

6. Yum! Beautiful snap peas look like veggie candy, so nice with salmon. Pine nuts add such a wonderful flavor, I’ve been enjoying them with everything of late…

Excited to hear of your homemade caprese supplies! Mozz that fresh would be a revelation (I’d need to make a caprese grilled cheese with fresh Italian bread, cooked in olive oil!)

Thanks Jenn, The snap peas were a hit… with many
      “I didn’t know you could eat the pod” comments! :)

Yep, I’m going to attempt to make some cheese! Grilled caprese sounds heavenly.

7. Pipaw says:

This is another yummy bento, salmon looks perfect!
    For your basil I think you don’t really need to worry. I live in an apartment and I grow basil, parsley and mint: they do well! Next step for me: balcony cherry tomatoes!!!

Hi Pipaw. Thanks for your basil “pep-talk”, I’m scared for my plants but maybe there’s hope. :)

i am wishing you lots of luck with the tomatoes and basil, seems perfect for your caprese cravings! this box looks simple and wonderful – the beni shoga will be great on that salmon, and just a few extra pops of freshness with the tomatoes. yum!

Hi gamene! Thanks for wishing my tomatoes luck…they’ll need it! :) Saba Man enjoyed his salmon and asked for more! That’s alway’s a good sign.

9. Sonoma Bento says:

I have a Black Thumb, and even I managed to keep a basil plant alive for an entire summer. It was really a proud accomplishment. :-) My suggestion to you: name your plant so you can have a little relationship with it, and hopefully remember to visit it everyday and water it. I did this with Ethel the Basil Plant, and it worked! Of course, this method backfired with Herman the Cherry Tomato Plant, and I just felt worse when I killed him.

Hi Sonoma Bento, Aw…Ethel sounds like a perfect name for a basil plant. I’ll have to think of something just as charming. Probably not Herman… :P