Spring Tulip Bento

Posted on April 06, 2010 by Debra

Here’s the bento that I had submitted to Just Bento’s Spring bento contest.  I took my inspiration from our annual Tulip Festival that is held here in the northwest area of Washington.  It didn’t make it to the finals but no worries as I had fun planning and assembling this.   Oh boy do I love a bento contest!

This lunch contains chicken adobo so it’s definitely a Saba Man bento.  The other items are roasted red and orange bell peppers, broccolini, asparagus, pea pods, black Thai rice and enoki mushrooms.

To view all the fabulous bentos including the 15 finalists, visit  Maki’s Just Bento blog!   But I warn you… all the bentos are beautiful  and delicious looking so  it’ s difficult to decide!

Good luck to all the talented bentoists!

29 to “Spring Tulip Bento”

What a pretty and bright bento! It definitely speaks “Spring” to me! I miss the Skagit Valley!

Wow, what a beautiful bento! It has great depth from the flowers all the way to the enokis in the back against the Thai rice. Gorgeous!

Hi Susan, Thank you! I really enjoy working with the Thai rice for bentos and it tastes delish!

Debra, this bento is beautiful! Love the bright colors for the flowers. You make the yummiest bento. You are right that the fun part to join contest is to have fun in planning and assembling it (^.^)

Thanks Lia, You are so sweet to say these nice things about my bentos! Thank you.

4. Ingrid says:

Such a bright and colourful bento. I love your retty tulips. Too bad that it didn’t get shortlisted but from the pictures I saw, competition was fierce. I will be hard to pick just a favourite (if only we had more than 1 vote …)

Thanks Ingrid. I don’t feel bad at all. I’m all about the fun! But you are so right about the competiion… Those bentos are incredibly beautiful. I’m having difficulty choosing just one also.

5. ktycat says:

I recognize your bento from the 156 bentos of the contest ! It is very nice but it is true that there were a lot of wonderful bentos and mine didn’t make it to the 15 finalists. Which is quite normal knowing the leel of cutiness of the other bentos :) .

just gorgeous – reminds me of holland! the white mushrooms against the black rice is a spectacular touch. congrats on a fab entry!

7. tatabonita says:

What a pretty flowery bento! You’ve chosen for a perfect red and yellow combination as your flowers that brighten up your lovely bento Debra :D . It’s beautiful indeed!

8. Lyndsey says:

I love your spring bento! Everything is so well placed. I really like how you use the mushrooms, they stand out so well against the black rice!

9. Lori says:

I looked at all the finalists and I think I like yours best! It is pretty, simple, healthy, and doable. I am not into fussy food. I enjoy your blog! Thanks!

Hi Lori, welcome to our bento blog. I’m glad you enjoy it and thanks for your super nice comments.

10. genny says:

work of art!_:D

11. Marly says:

This almost looks too pretty to eat. Notice I say “almost.” I think I would still eat it.

12. kathy says:

Ah… It’s pretty. I love the colors. It’s really lovely.

13. So vibrant, and expresses the frisky side of spring’s energy…the yellow and red tulips have a beautiful assertiveness!

14. Cherie says:

How colorful and tasty looking! I love how the enoki looks on top of that black rice!! Good luck!! ^_^

Hi Cherie, Welcome to our bento blog! Thank you for the good luck wishes… but my bento is not a finalist, but I’ll gladly apply it to a future bento contest.

15. Judy says:

I thought fer sure you were gonna win this one hands down, and now seeing your entry, I see you really describe “Spring” in your area. So congrats! Lovely tulip bento!

Hi Judy, Thanks for the compliments! I enjoyed making this bento regardless of not making the finals! Que sera sera!