Eggs with Garlic Chives

Posted on March 27, 2010 by Debra

I wrote in the previous post about how I learned to like eggs because my mom started making them with Korean garlic chives.   She would add them to scrambled over rice or make omelets for my bento. It’s a simple recipe so give it a go…you can thank me later. :)

Scrambled Eggs for One

Ingredients:

2 whole eggs

1 teaspoon of shoyu

1 teaspoon of mirin

1 teaspoon of sesame oil

1/4 cup of rough chopped Korean garlic chives

Preparation:

Mix all the ingredients together and pour all at once into a medium-hot nonstick skillet.    Scramble until firm but don’t overcook as  the eggs  get tough and rubbery.

Eat over hot rice and garnish with kim (Korean toasted seaweed) as shown.

I don’t know of a substitution for the Korean garlic chives so I can’t recommend anything.  Green onions or regular chives will not provide the correct flavor or aroma.

You can also make an awesome omelet or tamagoyaki for your bento.  In this bento, it’ scrambled.

16 to “Eggs with Garlic Chives”

1. Lil'chan says:

I love scrambled eggs. Thanks for the recipe!

2. Julie says:

That looks yummy! Not sure if I can get my hands on Korean garlic chives, but if I ever do, I’ll definitely try this recipe out! :D

3. Lyndsey says:

Looks perfect. I’ll check with our Asian store, the owners are Korean and showed me how to make Korean Sushi. She gets in a lot of fresh herbs and veggies too. I’ll have to ask her about the garlic chives. She knows me well now, I’m in there every week!

yum overload – you had me at garlic chives, but then topping with kim is just heavenly!

5. Marisa says:

Those eggs look so tasty I must try them.

6. What a great and simple recipe. Be right back I am going to make up some eggs.

7. Gretchen says:

I haven’t tasted garlic chives, but a sub for them just might be society garlic, a perennial that creates chive-like garlicy greens. It is ludicrously easy to grow and produces edible purple flowers that taste like garlic, very nice for garnish on savories. Very young green garlic or garlic scapes might work too.

Though mostly this makes me want to get my hands on some garlic chives! They look very tasty.

Hi Gretchen, Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve never heard of society garlic but I must now get my hands on some. They sound delicious.

8. KatyCrayon says:

I love eggs, which is odd because most of the people in my family either don’t like them or only like them on occassion. However, I’ve always enjoyed them and they are an excellent source of protein. I would like to try this recipe, if not this week, then maybe next week. Hopefully I’ll be able to find garlic chives!

9. I don’t know where to find the Korean Chives. But I will check some of korean grocery stores to find out. I can make this:) looks so good and simple!

Hi Tana, I haven’t been to a Korean grocer yet that didn’t have this and it’s very inexpensive. Also good in Asian style pancakes and fried rice too!