Lucky Shamrock Bento Box

Posted on March 17, 2010 by Debra

I’ve heard that Americans celebrate this holiday with more gusto than the Irish living in Ireland!   :)

With that said, here’s my tribute to the “Emerald Isle” all the way from the “Emerald City”
… a lucky shamrock bento box!

Today’s featured bento celebrates the “Wearing O’ the Green”  with an 4 leaf lucky shamrock made from bamboo rice and simmered kabocha from a recently stocked bento-stash.

Under the rice is some steamed broccoli stems and fried tofu pieces.   And the broccoli crowns are tucked here and there to keep everthing secure and tight.  Hopefully that will keep those leprechauns from hiding under the lid! :P

If they do get in there…I’ve added golden tomatoes as a decoy so Saba Man will be safe to eat his shamrock in peace.

In case your wondering what  a real shamrock looks like… here’s a photo of one that I’ve kept at my desk since St. Patrick’s Day 2008!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day and Erin Go Bragh!

I

20 to “Lucky Shamrock Bento Box”

1. Melanie says:

I love the green- it’s really perfect!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!! Awesome green bento and I love how you used the heart shaped onigiri to make the clover. :)

Love it! So festive and beautiful!

wow, so GREEN! love the double-layered heart construction of the shamrock, and this one is so healthful too! erin go bragh back at you!

5. Lil'chan says:

I love the way you did the shamrock out of rice and cucumber! ^.^

6. Mils says:

Oh oh the kabocha squash=shamrock is so clever!!! And the heart shaped rice-brilliant!

7. Nam says:

Gorgeous Bento!!!

8. bentobird says:

Love this! A wonderfully strong design that conveys great holiday spirit and a superhealthy lunch at the same time…awesome. Hope your St Patty’s day was lucky and full of laughter…

Green in the box absolutely gorgeous! Pretty green rice, very clever to form 4 hearts onigiri into clover. And the real shamrock is actually 3 leaves not 4? I always think is like 4 leaves lucky clover hehehe … now I knew the different :)

10. javapot says:

on this day, the greener the better huh!! :) liked your idea of using the heart shape onigri to do the shamrock, cool.

11. Bento Box says:

Look very healthy! Great job on the Shamrock, cool design! :o )

12. Debra says:

Happy St. Patrick’s Day everone and thanks for you kind comments! Go green!

13. Marisa says:

Hi Debra I love all the green but what is bamboo rice I am unfamiliar with it. Is it naturally green in tint?

I also came by because wanted to say thank you so much for your efforts as a bento blogger. Your blog has been a source of inspiration to me in my exploration of food. I wanted to let you know that you have been chosen to receive the Sunshine Award in an effort to say thank you for all you have done.

Please stop by this link and pick up your award. http://allingoodfood42.blogspot.com/2010/03/letting-sunshine-in.html

Hi Marisa, Ahh the bamboo rice… isn’t it pretty? I buy it in the organic bulk food section of my supermarket. The sign reads that it’s regular short grain white rice that’s infused with green bamboo extract. That’s it. It’s very tasty. Thank you for the award, I’m honored and touched that you’ve considered this blog for an award. You’re very sweet.

14. Belle says:

So cute! I bet it tastes as good as it looks too

15. Nam says:

Debra, because of your fabulous blog….I’ve given you the Sunshine Blogger Award! You can check it out at:

Cheers!!!!!!

16. Julie says:

Wow, awesome use of green!