Olympic Mascot Miga Bento Box

Posted on February 12, 2010 by Debra

We are looking forward to these Winter Olympic games up in beautiful Vancouver BC, Canada and are seriously thinking about attending one of the events.  We’re just a mere 3 hours away from the closest venue so we figured “why not”?   However,  after initial investigation of hotel rates etc. our grand scheme may not come to fruition.  Our favorite hotels up north have tripled their charges!

To cheer Saba Man up I made him a snack to munch on while watching the opening ceremonies on television.  I also wanted to try my hand  at charaben again and selected one of the Olympic mascots, Miga as my model!   I thought Miga would be the easiest to attempt…black and white is pretty simple in the form of rice and nori musubi. Right?  Well.. the body was easy enough but I don’t have any nori punchers for faces so it took me awhile to get it close to the proper image.  It’s not exactily right, but it’s good enough for now.

The background paper is a gift from a bento friend which I think fits this theme… there’s always fireworks at any Olympic opening ceremony!  I love fireworks and can’t wait to see what the Vancouverites  have in store for us.

We wished to  be there in person, but ticket prices  for the opening were out of reach.   *Sigh* The $avings Challenge would have to continue for  many months to pay for just one admission.   Which reminds me… we saved $43.00 yesterday!

We’re determined to get to Vancouver and will keep checking the prices.  If we get there… I won’t need to pack any bentos because I know where to get some good eats, thanks to Tana of Cheap Apettite .

Well… if it happens then great, but if not then we can pretend to participate by packing bentos like this one.   So with that, here’s today’s featured bento packed with  “Miga musubi” along with sauteed zucchini, boiled egg, fish sausage, broccoli,  and tomatoes.

As I’m typing this I’m already thinking of the fun things  we can do for Olympic themed bento boxes.  There’s a couple more weeks of events…that’s plenty of time to practice more charaben!  :)

1 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 13 02 10 11:28

Winter Olympic Mascot “Miga” Bento – Bento Central

18 to “Olympic Mascot Miga Bento Box”

Looks like someone got bit by the charaben bug! Supercute Miga bento! Yummy and festive :)

• hapabento says:

I know. Now I have this urge to got out and buy all the face punches and cute picks. Thanks for your nice comments.

Oh my gosh, he is so cute!!! Beautiful bento, I love it! LOL, I can’t wait to see what you buy! Wasn’t the opening ceremonies amazing?

• hapabento says:

Hi Susan,
      Thanks! I’m not sure what to but yet… I ‘m scouring the interwebs for the best $$$ and everyone’s charaben for guidance. Yes,the Opening Ceremonies were spectacular.

3. kainoa says:

Love it!

4. bentobird says:

This is so cute and vibrant–I’m enjoying your new charaben phase!

5. Debra,
    What a great honour to be mentioned in your blog. :) I hope you can find cheap tickets for the Olympics soon. I’m trying to find a cheap one myself. The opening ceremony ticket is so expensive, I’m content just to watch it at home. I love the cute mascot box you made. And I hope you excel at the saving challenge:)

6. fluteloop says:

I love it, especially the scarf is so creative!

7. Lil'chan says:

Hey, nice Charaben! (I don’t know the olympic mascot, but it looks nice the way you did it^^)

8. Deborah Dowd says:

This is so cute!! You have a real gift!

9. Stephanie says:

Hi there! I’m from Vancouver but I’m currently in the US for university. Wish I could be in Vancouver right now!! :(

The Bento Box looks cute! My favourite mascot is Quatchi :)

10. hapabento says:

Hi Stephanie, I love your city! We were there just last Summer and I always have fun when visiting.

My favorite is Quatchi too, I din’t have the correct foods to attempt making him. All the mascots are super cute for these Olympics.

11. eula says:

You inspired me to make an Olympic mascot bento too! Check out my Mukmuk bento!

eula.wordpress.com