Roasted Miso Eggplant

Posted on January 13, 2010 by Debra

Today I was a bit stuck on what I was going to roast!   So on the way home I stopped at small market… lo and behold,  they had the most lovely Indian eggplants.  These are super cute and about the size of an extra large hen’s egg.  Of course I forgot to take a photo of them before I started preparation.  I’m still not used to cooking with a camera in one hand. :)

Roasted Miso Eggplant with Honey Sesame Glaze

Ingredients:

Small eggplants, sliced in half lengthwise

white miso

sesame oil

honey (brown sugar or brown rice syrup)

sesame seeds

Preparation:

Smear white miso all over the eggplant halves and set aside to marinate for an hour. UPDATE:  The longer you marinate the better it tastes. So given the extended prep time, this dish is obviously not a speed- bento item but more of a “cook some for dinner and save a few for tomorrow’s bento”  type of recipe.

Scrape excess miso off the eggplants.  Place them cut side up and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

Then turn up the heat to 450 and roast for 8-10 minutes. I forgot to take the photo at this phase too. Sorry.

Mix equal parts of sesame oil and honey.  Brush this glaze across the eggplants and dip in the sesame seeds.  Again, I forgot to photograph the brushing of the glaze.

I think the next time I’ll toast the sesame seeds.  When I  execute the “do over” I be sure to take photos of each step.   Maybe if I wear the camera around my neck  I won’t forget.

Eggplant on Foodista

2 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 14 01 10 02:54

Tweets that mention Recipe for Miso Roasted Eggplant | hapa bento -- Topsy.com

2. 14 01 10 20:18

new birdie bento « bento zen

10 to “Roasted Miso Eggplant”

Debra, can I used other type of eggplant for this recipe? Love the pictures showing on how to prepare it. I think a little bit hard to take pictures while cooking but you done it well :o )

• hapabento says:

Hi Lia,

I don’t see why not! Sometimes eggplant can be bitter so some experimentation will be in order. Larger eggplants could be sliced? I’ll try that and let you know how it turns out. I think for this preparation the smaller the better.

2. Jenn says:

Oh my that looks so delicious! I am saving this recipe for the summer when we are planting eggplant in the garden again! Yum!

I have given you an award you can pick up here:

• hapabento says:

Hi Jenn, Thanks for the award. I’ll hop over to your blog and check it out! Homegrown eggplants! Can’t wait to see them on your blog this summer.

True that miso does seem to go well with lots of things! Eggplant will be a great subject! We have those Indian eggplants too, and also mini long ones too, as well as Thai ones – that look like green globes. So many choices–it’s good to have recipes on hand like this one. Thanks for sharing!

• hapabento says:

Hi sheri,

I stare at the Thai eggplants all the time and I’m a bit intimidated by their beauty! I fear that I’ll ruin them with my hack recipes! LOL

Gotta love the miso… it really can be applied to many food types!

4. bentobird says:

Fan-tastic! I love eggplant and can’t wait to try this recipe. Beautiful and instructive pics, too. Lovely post, hapa bento!

• hapabento says:

Thank you bentobird I look forward to seeing your interpretation of this recipe. I know it will be fabulous!

5. david masaoka says:

never tried the round eggplants. japanese and chinese eggplant don’t seem to have bitterness problem. Seems to be in mature Italian eggplant w/seeds although not always. just had some split grilled japanese w/garlic oil. I’m going to have to start stocking miso, that sounds good. do you keep both red and white? what do you use it for?

• hapabento says:

Hi again david, I love miso and I have both kinds. The red for a stronger flavor, salmon or chicken. The white for veggies and boiled eggs. Of course Miso soup too! :) Japanese eggplant with garlic oil sounds yummy.